Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New Fascination towards Black and White Films

Last night randomly I came across a channel, might have been the history channel or comedy channel but I stumbled upon a black and white film called, "The Cameraman."

The story tells of Buster (Buster Keaton), a tintype portrait photographer who develops a crush on Sally (Marceline Day), a secretary who works for the MGM's newsreel department. Hoping to impress her, he purchases an out-of-date movie camera and attempts to get a job in the newsreel department as a cameraman. He is thwarted in his endeavor by Harold (Harold Goodwin), a current cameraman who recognizes Buster's inexperience and also has designs on Sally. Sally suggests that Buster film anything and everything, but Harold's suspicions prove true; Buster's footage is always useless. Sally gives him a tip that something big is going to happen in Chinatown and he should film it. Buster goes to film it and well I'm going to let you watch it because that's where the good part comes in. Its very humorous and was ranked #331 on the list of 1000 greatest movies of all time.

Another great black and white film that I enjoy is Alfred Hitchcock's Thriller, "Psycho." The film depicts the encounter between a secretary, Marion Crane (Leigh), hiding at a secluded motel after embezzling money from her employer, and the motel's disturbed owner and manager, Norman Bates (Perkins), and their famous encounter. Classified as one of the best drama, horror, mystery and Thriller movies of all time.

I'm not sure where this new fascination for black and white films is coming from considering that I'm all for the new age film look and special effects to tell my stories, but seeing these films is better helping me understand the basis of which filmmakers and movies spawned from, also by gaining a new appreciation towards a new type of media that I've never searched into.

I highly recommend the two films above and I hope to make a sweet black and white film someday in honor of the famous black and white films era.


Edward Sedgwick's "The Cameraman"

Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho"

No comments:

Post a Comment