Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hardware, Software, Most Asked Questions

Many people come to me with questions like, "what software(s) do you use to edit your videos? What kind of computer do you have? Mac? Pc?" Well let me answer those questions now.

What kind of computer do you use? Mac? Pc?

Answer: I use a Pc for a variety of reasons. The first reason is the amount of customization that you can do to a Pc, its way easier to customize than a Mac and you can pack literally the same stuff into it hardware wise that you can to a Mac. Price was another thing, Macs are insanely priced compared to Pcs and everything that a Mac can do, a Pc can do the same if not better with the proper tweaking for a cheaper price.

Final Cut Pro?

Answer: Final Cut Pro is a high end video editing program that is only available on Macs. I use a Pc so of course I can't have access to this software but honestly I don't need it. When you have other softwares that are equally as good as Final Cut Pro, you don't always need the best. Almost every technique that is used to make a video can be carried out into any video program. Its sometimes more about who is behind the computer than what is being run.

Adobe After Effects: For visual effects, Adobe After Effects is the way to go. By far one of the best softwares for composting and creating special effects with videos. I use it for color correction, green screening and all my other special effects. Its NOT the cheapest or easiest software to pick up and go, it requires a lot of time to learn. I recommend all students pick up a cheap student version if they can, its way cheaper than the actual version. It took me over 2 years to understand how to use it efficiently for what I use it for. I still learn new things about it everyday as I branch into new types of media.

Adobe Premiere Pro: When it comes down to the clipping and ordering of the footage that you record, I use Adobe Premiere Pro. Its almost an necessity if you have After Effects. It offers a dynamic link so you don't have to render individual clips, you can just export your video sequence and after effects can read it. Once you apply effects to your sequence you can re-open your sequence in Premiere Pro and do any extra changes that you need to and you're good to go. You don't have to worry about rendering your project multiple times and quality is contained.

Sony Vegas: Its almost identical to Premiere Pro with a few different things. I only use Sony Vegas because it offers real time audio editing which is essential to any filmmaker. It does not offer the dynamic link but it can hold its own in creating some special effects and graphics. Its the perfect audio program editor and junior video editor so I advise everyone to pick this up if they're interested in video editing. It will get the job done.

Where did you learn how to make videos?

Answer: I learned how to make videos at the comfort of my own house. Honestly, I've never sat down and listened to a lecture on how to make videos. Everything I've learned, I've learned from online and through trial and error. That's how dedicated I am to making videos.

I recently just upgraded my laptop so here are my system specs for you computer people:

Asus Notebook G53SW Series:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM(Quad Core) CPU @ 2.90 GHz
OS: Windows Ultimate 64 Bit
RAM: 14GB
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460M Cuda 1.5 GB
Memory: 500GB internal, 2 terabyte external hard drive, SSD: Force GT 120GB w/ 555MB/s Read and 515 mb/s write.

No comments:

Post a Comment