Sunday, November 6, 2011

Script Writing Lecture

On November 6th, 2011, I attended a script writing lecture for personal growth and gain. I now know the proper formatting of a film script. What strikes me is that this 2-hour lecture was free. The only thing that I learned so far in my freshman year that was valuable towards my major and future career was free! I can't believe pre-recs are still needed in order to get a major, classes that do nothing towards my career and cost money.

To those of you who don't know me, I was accepted at the Illinois Institute of Art in Chicago for Digital Filmmaking and Video Production. I decided not to attend that school and to attend GVSU was for money reasons. The school in Chicago costed around 3 times the amount that GVSU's tuition costed. I was given an opportunity for a chance at a half-tuition scholarship towards the institute but I didn't get the award. After attending this script writing lecture I know now that one of the reasons why I didn't get the award was because of the script I sent in. It had improper formatting. Do I still think I would have gotten the award if I had proper formatting? Not sure but my script's format was definitely one issue that I look back on that I wished I could have changed for a better chance at a education geared towards a career and not like the situation I'm in now.

To anyone wondering the script writing program that I use is "Adobe Story." Its currently in a beta version right now but it gets the job done.

Why don't you use Microsoft Word to write scripts? Well the nice thing about Adobe Story is that the formatting and spacing is set perfectly for film and television. Also if you ever question a formatting mistake about your script you can refer to its reference which is something that Word doesn't have.

Attending this lecture has now changed my way of doing things. Will the videos be better? Not quite but the approach towards making videos has become more professional and that's one thing that I strive to do whenever I make videos, to be more professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment